Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Mid-Season Rankings: A Visual Basis II

Welcome to the second installment of my midseason evaluation series. Today I'll be throwing out my next two prospect evaluations. For a quick rundown of how this works all you need to remember is that my impressions are based on the results of google image searches.  For the full rundown you can check post number one here: http://yourteamsuxmineisrad.blogspot.com/2013/06/mid-season-rankings-visual-basis.html

Let's get to number 3.

3. Matt Davidson


Matt is currently destroying baseballs for the Diamondbacks triple A affiliate in some small shithole I don't want to take the time to look up. All I know is that there's a logjam at the major league level partially because Eric Chavez remembered how a baseball bat works.

He's scoring extremely well in some advanced stats. For example his Q-Tip rating is somewhere in the Bonita Applebum range and his BUSTA score rates out at Dungeon Dragon.

For the look test it's pretty simple. Even though he has shockingly weird blonde hair and a duck on his jersey, he exudes confidence. This says proven winner and destroyer of worlds.



Additionally, he has mastered the classic baseball card photo popularized by the Donruss company, if I remember correctly, of pointing the barrel of the bat just off the side of the camera lens. The last guy to do that this well was another fair haired third bagger, Matt Williams.  Color me Sold on Matty.



4. Kyle Crick



I'm as astounded as you are. When I googled Kyle Crick this is the only image that came up, and then the internet exploded. I had to reboot.

The only accurate comparisons I could find were Nuke Laloosh and Jesus. The kid has a 0.48 ERA at high A and his fastball tops out right around 123 mph (one of those numbers is actually accurate). When he pitches women faint and grown men cry. Umpires have refused to stand directly behind home plate in the interest of self preservation. In his first appearance his fastball earned the nickname "The Brown Note" when it caused everyone in the stadium to simultaneously shit themselves.

He projects to be a top of the rotation guy and since most of the Giants pitching staff pitch like they've been digging a little too deep into Timmy Lincecum's personal stash, I'm guessing he'll probably be pitching for the big club next week and could possibly win 20 games, and the Cy Young. I'd give him rookie of the year, but that might anger Yasiel Puig. This kid is a top talent, and well worth whatever it may cost to get him.

Stay tuned for my next installment.

No comments:

Post a Comment